Old February 3rd 18, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default There IS a way

There IS a way. For the loaded tourist to make it from Pinnacles to Coalinga on CA-198. There is no water. If you knock on the door of ranches and ask, they tell you 'We don't drink the water' and cheerfully hand you a couple of small bottles, for which you thank them profusely, then gulp down, leaving you still out of water.
I made it up to the pass on my 2nd attempt. But was out of water with 35 miles to go and worried. I started back to King City. halfway back down, the way stopped introduced himself.
He is the cowboy at the Peach Tree Ranch. A 45,000 acre cattle ranch, he points out. "I've been haulin cyclists up to the top of the grade since '69.." said he.

Thank You.