Old July 2nd 09, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Fredburger

Default OT but great

--D-y wrote:
On Jul 1, 11:28 am, rruff wrote:
Great article. I grew up near a small town in downstate IL myself.
Instead of kids running around on their bikes, we now have parents
shuttling them around to supervised activities in 6000 lb SUVs. I know
parents who put over 20k miles per year on their cars just doing
this.

I guess we could say that the effort to create a society of paranoid
consuming zombies has been a great success...

Or we could say that instead of hush-hushing the reality of life ("the
monsters among us"), that contemporary parents are more aware than
those in earlier years, and are protecting their children. Count me in
that number. "Paranoid" is an insult and in retort, you can do as you
want with yours (if you have any of course).

Lexus 470, approx 5400lb

Sequoia, 5100 lb

Yukon Denali (now we're getting somewhere) 5800lb

Odyssey (what I drive), 4500lb

It's safer in traffic than a ****box econocar (aside from the 5-Star
crash rating) because it is large and accelerates reasonably quickly.
Far fewer idiots swooping and dodging, cutting me off than in the
Camry, which is a fairly large ****box, actually.

Don't like it? Well, talk to the idiots.
--D-y

Hummer H2, 6614 lb