Old August 7th 03, 08:31 PM
NC

Default advice sought on bottom bracket

My best tourer needs some work on the bottom bracket. I took it apart today
for routine clean & grease and discovered the RH bearing cup is pitting at
one side. So, time for some replacement parts.

The bike is a circa 1990 Nigel Dean World Tour (531 frame, drop bars, etc.).
Chainset is a triple, standard taper fit, BB has English threads. The bike
avoids the salt of midwinter, though is sometimes ridden in mucky & wet
conditions and occaisionally along farm tracks, bridleways, etc..

Options I see are to either fit a sealed BB as fitted to most modern bikes,
or to search around for a quality cup and ballrace set (do such things exist
anymore ?).

So, seeking recommendations for either a sealed BB for taper cranks with a
decent life expectancy on a road bike, or a source of quality cup, axle and
ballrace sets.

I suspect this will need a trip up the road in the boiling heat to Madgetts.

Nigel