Old December 6th 05, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default bottom bracket advice

Hi,

My bottom bracket is knackared. The axle on the side of the front
sprocket (left side) seems to have shortened meaning my front sprocket
doesn't have enough clearance from the frame so it rubs against my
derailer cable causing it to wear out and snap.

I need to replace the bottom bracket. It is +not+ a new bike.

Here are the specs:

Make: Shimano BB-CT90
Other info: VIA 68 SL
BC1 37x24
YL 116

The model is mentioned on Sheldon Brown's site:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/bbsize.html

Slightly worring entry:

Altus CT90 Triple 116-121 Square 47.5-50 Recalled! Do Not Use!
See Shimano dealer for free replacement. Compact 1995

I have two questions:

* anyone know where I can get one these?
* how can I know if a different model is a suitable replacement? is this
a good idea?

If I have left out information please let me know and I'll do my best to
get it.

Thanks,

Ben.

--