Old April 10th 21, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Safety inflation

On 4/10/2021 6:04 AM, Roger Merriman wrote:

snip

I’ve not seen any attempt bar some club ask that you have lights of some
degree.

Personally I like them i suspect that in terms of risk it’s within
statistical noise. In my case the front light is a fairly powerful light,
with a remote so I can toggle High/low. Which gets folks attention very
sharply! Though that maybe happens once a year or so, ie something so silly
that it’s worth high beaming them same as in the car, it’s rare that I’d
need to use the horn.

What it seems to do, is stop folks just pulling out/doing U turns as the
light at glance says motorbike than bike, i suspect. As folks can’t predict
speed or much generally, do I think it stops accidents? No.

Does it make my commute less tedious yes I think so, it’s also since I need
the light at all times of the year and running on low is a week or more
before it starts nagging for a charge in summer maybe 3/4 days in winter.

In short i will have the light with me so I turn it on.

You can be just as safe without a DRL as with a DRL. What the DRL does
is to greatly reduce the instances of vehicles doing things like pulling
out of a parking lot in front of you, doing right hooks in front of you,
and making U turns into your path. You can certainly ride much slower
and more cautiously and do just fine without a DRL. You're just much
more visible to vehicles, and from further away, when you have a DRL.
And as you stated, you have the light with you so you turn it on,
there's no down side at all.

And no, no bicycle club that I'm aware of would require a DRL on a ride,
though most do require helmets on club rides, partly at insistence of
their insurance carrier and partly because it's just a good idea. I
suppose that a ride leader could require it though but I've never heard
of this occurring, it's just another thing Frank is throwing out in his
effort to gain traction with his narrative. I would suggest that he move
on to chain lubrication arguments.