Old November 20th 16, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: How to fold a jersey into a bag

This trick no longer works for me.

On the other hand, I could probably find a place to put the stuff in
my front pockets, and then proceed as if my jersey didn't have any.

Sometimes you have to take your jersey off and none of the shirts
under it have pockets. You can make your jersey into a bag to contain
your stuff.

In this wrap, the middle pocket gets the most protection, so anything
vital should be in the middle pocket. I have yet to have anything
fall out of any pocket, but the middle pocket is redundantly secure.

Hold the shirt up with the pockets facing you, the pockets dangling
down like a string of bags. Move your grip to the sides of the shirt
at the tops of the pockets and allow the top of the jersey to flop
down over the pockets like the flap of an envelope.

Fold the jersey into thirds by folding first one side pocket and then
the other over the middle pocket. Use the front of your body as a
folding board.

Smooth out the rest of the jersey and tuck the sleeves in. Roll up
the bundle of pockets in the dangling part of the jersey. (Another
way to put it: Wrap the rest of the jersey around the bundle of
pockets.)

If possible, put the package into a plastic grocery bag, put the bag
into a pannier, and tie the handles of the bag to the wires of the
pannier. The contents are contained well enough that bungeeing it to
your rack works fine, but the jersey might get dirty.

Today I had occasion to take my jersey off without emptying the
pockets. But I wanted access to some of the things in the pockets, so
instead of elaborately folding it and putting it and my turtleneck
into a grocery bag, as I'd planned yesterday, I stuffed my turtleneck
into one of the pockets and was careful to pick the jersey up by the
neck when I needed to move it.

Pity I didn't have enough sense to remove my polyester T-shirt before
putting the wool jersey and silk turtleneck back on after the blood
draw -- I *did* go into a restroom to do it. (I'd stripped in the
waiting room.) By the time I got to Oswego, I was badly overheated --
and it was rude of me to occupy the only restroom at the mini-mart
long enough to take off three shirts and put two back on.

Pity the corn has all been harvested.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/