Old November 23rd 16, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default AG: I did it again.

On Monday, November 21, 2016 at 6:55:41 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/21/2016 7:12 PM, NFN Smith wrote:

That said, years ago, in a narrower intersection (having a bike lane,
but no right turn), I was moving up to a light next to a large motor
home, and he suddenly turned in front of me -- I don't remember if he
was trying to make a right turn on red. More likely the light turned
green (and I didn't see the change). I was pretty surprised when the
mass of vehicle beside me suddenly became a mass of vehicle that was
perpendicular to my path. Lesson learned: go with caution when
overtaking a vehicle on the right, at a signal light...

In London last year, when there was a cluster of bicyclist deaths in one
month, it came out that most (IIRC) of them came from that sort of
situation. Mirror image, of course, for a drive-on-the-left country.

Instead of "go with caution," I prefer to completely avoid that
situation. Do not be at the curb side of a vehicle (especially a large
one) that may turn in that direction.

--
- Frank Krygowski

In California you must be EXTREMELY careful of a left turn and a middle lane that is either left turn OR straight. If you get into the left turn only lane you are very liable to be center-punched by a car in the middle lane trying to beat a yellow light. So I ALWAYS take full lanes in that sort of condition. Being polite to cars and letting them run you down are two different things.