Old October 6th 17, 02:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Rotor material?

On Thursday, October 5, 2017 at 6:37:10 PM UTC-7, James wrote:
On 06/10/17 09:41, jbeattie wrote:

All one piece rotors I know of are SS, although you can buy CF
rotors. Magura (and I think Avid) makes thick rotors (2mm) that are
supposed to be good at shedding heat, but I don't know of anyone who
makes them thicker than that. You'll have to do some detective work.

I wouldn't have guessed that slightly thicker rotors would be
appreciably better at "shedding heat".

On MTB's on difficult descents the rotors are almost red-hot. Since I've never seen rims that hot I can only assume that the disks allow you to hang it out a lot further.