Old October 12th 17, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Disc brakes, adaptors to increase rotor diameter

On 2017-10-11 18:16, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 2:36:03 PM UTC-7, Joerg wrote:
The adapters to increase rotor size in a post-post situation (which
I have front and back) look like this:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/oK8AAO...Au/s-l1600.jpg

My MTB has a factory one from 160 to 180mm up front but I am
considering 203mm. That would make the thing even more extreme,
like this where the screws would look more cattywompus or out of
line than they already do:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/w4MAA...bTa/s-l500.jpg

Why are the spacings so different on both sides while for 160mm
their are not?

The angle of the caliper changes as you get into the larger rotor
sizes and thus the disparity.

Understood. This is also what Ralph wrote. However, many calipers such
as mine have round pads where it doesn't matter if the angle is slighlty
different.

http://www.bikehugger.com/posts/road...vs-post-mount/

The deal with adapters is that they usually assume the resident
posts are sized for 160mm rotors. That is a correct assumption for
your bike. My CAADX was, amazingly, sized for a 140mm front rotor, so
my 180mm adapter was actually a 160mm adapter.

My mounts are both native 160mm so ideally I'd like to go from there to
203mm without stacking two adapters. The front currently has a 160-180mm
adapter and for whatever reason that one also adds angle.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/