Old August 13th 19, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Can not get bike to shift gears properly

On 8/12/2019 8:55 PM, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 17:33:50 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

I have taken my bike to 2 different shops to have my gears adjusted.

They do not shift properly and end up "clicking" instead of shifting into the correct gear.

I have had 2 shops adjust the bike and the adjustment never lasts more than 3 or 4 days.

My chain and all components are very clean.

What's is going on?

Andy

In my experience (for whatever that is worth :-) if the shifting
changes dramatically it is usually something like a misaligned shift
cable housing which allows the housing to move after the adjustments
are made, or even a poorly tightened cable clamp.

I've also noticed that after the shifter is adjusted that in a day or
so it sometimes requires a bit of added adjustment - maybe a part of a
turn of the adjuster (if there is one) - and once that adjustment is
made satisfactorily than things remain the same for months.

I think it's very common for new cables to somehow "settle in," making
the inner wire effectively (not actually) longer. The cure is to
lengthen the path of the housing to match.

On a hilly club ride this year, a new rider on a new bike was having
lots of shifting problems, lots of missed and grinding shifts. "The bike
shop just adjusted it!" etc.

At a stop, without even dismounting from my bike, I turned her cable
housing length adjuster out half a turn and said "Try that." It shifted
perfectly the rest of the ride.

--
- Frank Krygowski