Old September 18th 17, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Is there an updated Dynotest somewhere?

On 2017-09-16 09:28, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/16/2017 10:51 AM, Joerg wrote:

On a steep uphill I sure want my rear light as bright as it gets. On
winding uphill stretches the risk of being seen too late is highest.

Have you ever bothered to get a friend to ride your bike at night, then
observe your bike's lights and reflectors as you drove your car?

I've done things like that many times, with my family, with friends,
with bike club members. And as mentioned, I've gotten spontaneous
compliments from motorists.

All of this testing has showed that a cyclist does NOT need
super-bright
lights or high tech equipment to be perfectly visible.

The modern paranoia calling for super-bright lights is silly. It's
spouted by people who haven't done simple tests.

Nonsense. I did tests. If you want to be able to pull up to 15mph on
singletrack or 25mph on a road with occasional debris on it those 1000
lumen lights are a safety feature. Because you see stuff. For
slowpokes that is, of course, a different story.

At night, I don't often hit 25 mph.
I don't know many cyclists who do.
But when I've done it I don't recall trouble seeing adequately with my
Busch & Muller Cyo headlights.

Here, you have to see debris that fell from construction trucks and
tossed glass bottles well ahead of time. Because there is no chance to
evade those if you are just being passed by a bus.

Yes, we know. Where you ride is terribly, terribly dangerous.
Construction debris all over the roads, glass bottle everywhere! And
unlike everywhere else, cars in your area don't displace that stuff to
the side.

Or perhaps you're still riding in the gutter, where all that stuff
eventually ends up? If you could persuade yourself to at least ride in
the area of the cars' right tire track, perhaps you'd find that the
debris has been moved out of your way.

--
- Frank Krygowski