Old August 18th 04, 12:04 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Fred Hall" writes:

OK...speaking of clean chains...what's everyone's impression (that's used
them) of those contraptions that clip over your chain and contain brushes
and a reservior to clean your chain as you run it through the machine? Is
it faster (but as good as) using white lightning and a handheld brush with a
cleaning cloth (and screwdriver to get in the hard to reach spots with the
cloth?

I don't like 'em, and here's why:
The whole point to cleaning chains is to get grit off
the outside before it works its way into metal-on-metal
contacts, especially between pins & rollers. I believe
any technique that involves rubbing, scrubbing or wiping
exterior grit against the chain actually increases the
likelihood of grit being driven /into/ those areas.

So I much prefer methods that use detergent action
soaking to loosen up the gunk, and agitation and
rinsing to get the crud off, rather than wiping.
And I don't even think agitation & rinsing is any
guarantee against some particles getting into the
works -- after all, all chains eventually wear out,
no matter how well maintained they are.

Those contraptions might be good for making the outside
of the chain look pretty and pristine, but that's not
real chain cleaning.

cheers,
Tom

--