Old November 11th 18, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Chain wear and cassette question

On 2018-11-10 17:06, jbeattie wrote:
Snipped
I think the pins could be removed with Joerg's patented nail
and a hammer, and the silver pin is a screw. It looks like
the Sunrace people are trying to accommodate the
build-a-beater set.

If they aren't screws they have to be drilled out. With a nail
or a punch you'd bend cogs.
Snipped

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I've separated many cassette cogs by grinding of the heads of
the pins behind the largest cog and then tapping the remaining
pin until there was enough to grab with a pliers or small
Vice-grip and pulled the pins out and I did that without EVER
bending a cog. It only takes a tap to start the pin out once the
head is ground off.

That's what I meant. They have to either be ground off or drilled.
Then they can either be punched out the rest of the way with very
little force or grabbed with pliers. In the old days there were
three long screws which saved a couple of minute during that job.
It's easy either way as long as they didn't cluster the largest
cogs onto a spider.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

You do NOT need to drill out the entire pin. All you need to do is
grind or even file off the end that's on the outside of the largest
cog. I've done both.

On some cassettes that pin is just a glorified long rivet and hollow.
Easily drilled out, takes a few seconds to drill the head off and then
it almsot falls out by itself.

... Then you simply place your punch or even a nail
against the pin that's still in the hole and then gently tap the
punch or nail to start the pinb out. When it's started you simply
turn the cogset over and pull out the remaining pin. It takes but a
few seconds once the pin heads are off to extract those pins. You do
NOT need a massive hammer/rock or a lot of force. There's absolutely
no reason why you should bend any cog whilst getting the pins out.
Unless of course you don't remove the heads of the pins first that
is.

Sheesh but some people make a simple thing sound like such a
difficult chore.

It depends on how old a cassette is and whether the bike has seen a lot
of rain, salt and snow. I've had pins in old cassettes I wanted to
salvage cogs from that would not budge at all until I gave them a good
whack (after drilling off a head).