Old November 27th 18, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Default Power Meter

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 13:49:08 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

There are still a number of unanswered questions, which is why they don't
have my money yet. Like all new product development projects, they're
behind schedule, and they haven't provided enough real world test data to
keep all the backers happy. However, the price point (160 Euro each, 260
Euro for a pair) is lower than any other direct measuring power meter out
there.

Sorry, but I have no delivery information or current interest in their
business practices. I'm interested in the technology. As Jay has so
eloquently noted, they're a Kickstarter startup and have a high
probability of failings. A good clue is that they collected 10 times
the money that they were trying to attract, which means they either
don't understand the market, or have grossly underpriced their
product. I suspect the latter.

Methinks it maketh more sense to put the sensors in the riders shoes,
rather than in the pedals. It would be easier to build, would
indicate the power delivered by the riders feet instead of the pedals,
and could be used for other power measurements, such as running. One
would only need one power meter sensor pair for the shoes, not one for
each bicycle. Something like this:
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/09/lucks-cycling-power-meter-shoe.html
Well, maybe not. No sign of a power meter on their web pile:
https://luck-bike.es/en/

Hell, Jeff, just get some strain gauges surgically inserted in your tibias,
and you're halfway to the universal power meter. Tie some piezoelectric
generators to your Achilles' tendon for power, add a bit of DSP and a
BlueTooth stack and you're cooking with gas! Maybe run a power lead up to
the chest to power the internal HRM for extra points.