Old December 3rd 18, 12:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default A few months waxing chain

On Mon, 3 Dec 2018 13:14:11 +1100, James
wrote:

On 2/12/18 5:20 am, wrote:

I do not use paraffin wax because of the great deal of trouble
cleaning the chainrings and cogs. I use expensive cassettes and I'd
just as soon no have them looking like a pile of dirt, And these
expensive cassettes have several cogs attached together that make
cleaning them extremely difficult. Not to mention tearing the chain
rings off of the crankset to clean them.

Meanwhile, I installed a new cassette about 1 year ago, and have used 3
chains so far, each one worn to about 0.25% over the past 8000km.

I haven't cleaned the cassette once, yet there is no build up of crud to
speak of. The spacers appear relatively clean, and there is just a
little wax lubricant around each sprocket where the chain runs.

I have cleaned the jockey wheels once or twice, and that is as easy as
holding a stiff brush against them while I turn them.

I don't understand this idea that using a wax based lubricant results in
hard to clean off crud. One of the key features of using wax is that it
is cleaner than regular wet lubes (oils).

How are you measuring chains? From pin to pin which ignores any wear
on the rollers? Or with the "new" Shimano gauge that is supposed to
take roller wear into consideration.

Given that you have worn out three chains and the cassette wear is
apparently negligible it seems that whatever you are doing will work
for me too :-)

cheers,

John B.