Old December 3rd 18, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Tube cement, which brand is best?

On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 12:39:29 PM UTC-8, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 05:37:53 -0800 (PST), patrick
wrote:

So is it consensus that the route for the escape of the aromatic
component is the screw top or the crimp bottom of the tube?
Pat

I've had unused tubes empty themselves, with the top seal not
punctured. The only other avenues of escape a
1. Through the plastic or aluminum tube (unlikely).
2. Through the seal at the bottom of the tube. (winner by default).

The problem with the bottom seal theory is that I've tried to squeeze
a brand new tube with all my strength and nothing comes out of the
tube. I even tried it inside a plastic bag, in a bench vise, and the
seal held (before the side of the tube blew out). I also left it with
pressure applied from a pile of junk on top of the tube, and nothing
came out. Either my $0.50/ea tubes are amazingly well sealed, or I'm
doing something wrong.

I'm willing to try this again, but it will need to wait about 2 weeks
until I'm done with some medical issues and my traditional end of the
year billing panic.

For general amusement:

MSDS for REMA Tip Top cold vulcanizing fluids show that they contains
trichloroethylene:
https://www.myerstiresupply.com/MyersTireSupply/media/myers-tire-supply/MSDS-pdfs/MSDS91100_01_02_Chm_Vulc_Fl.pdf
http://yourtireshopsupply.com/download?pID=220&fID=2598
No clue if the Calif VoC ban applies.

Nagging question: is "vulcanizing fluid" just plain old rubber cement?
https://www.bikeforums.net/19907991-post1.html

Is rubber cement in stationery stores the same as in tire patch kits?
https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/questions/35317/is-rubber-cement-in-stationery-stores-the-same-as-in-tire-patch-kits
The "rubber cement" in the patch kit isn't a vulcanizing glue,
it's a devulcanizing compound which breaks apart the little
vulcanized polymer chains allowing for new cross-linking to
happen.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Hey Jeff, medical issues FIRST. I think I'm over the hump with my flu. I think that it was the flu that caused my brother to have a heart attack the other evening. While in the ER, it was packed and the orderly told me that they were all there for flu. The shots missed again this year. Wrong variation.

My brother will be having a stint put into his heart this afternoon. He may have to have a bypass but he is adamantly against full surgery so if that's necessary he won't be long on this world.