Old September 24th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Default Help! Are there health benefits to unicycling?

Conrad.Nguyen wrote:
Mile per mile maybe, but hour per hour I'd have to disagree. It really
depends on the person though. Potential for better exercise goes to
biking rather than unicycling.

Running shouldn't be that hard on your knees or spine if you have
correct form. You will get a lot more fit running than MUniing for the
same amount of time, assuming you run and don't jog.

Lifting weights does nothing for aerobic, but it doesn't mean nobody
should lift weights. Lifting weights builds muscle which burns calories
even after you're done lifting. So if you want improved fitness, lifting
weights should be included in your overall workout plan.

I understand that you've had success with unicycling and losing weight,
which I think is awesome. If I could keep my fitness just unicycling I
would, but for time purposes running does so much more.

Core strength exercises (like crunches or planks) will do more for core
strength than just unicycling in less time.

Perhaps a better reason that unicycling is a good exercise (boisei
touched on this a little) is that it's fun. The best training gear/plan
in the world won't get you fit, getting out and exercising will.

Muni has done far more than just help me lose weight; it has totally
transformed my body & soul to the extent that nothing ever has. I used
to be an avid runner, doing marathons and so on, but MUni is an
all-encompassing, and yes, FUN way to get in the best shape of your
life! But I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree, lol. There is
just no way that biking is anywhere near as effective as MUni-ing, mile
for mile, imo. Low, LOW gears and coasting and no real focus on
balance and/or hopping, gapping, etc., makes biking a walk in the park
by comparison.

--
MuniAddict

'UniGeezer.com' (http://unigeezer.com/)