Old December 5th 17, 05:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default Mountain bike tire/wheel sizes

On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 7:34:45 AM UTC-5, Tanguy Ortolo wrote:
Frank Krygowski, 2017-12-04 17:08+0100:
Hmm. To solve that problem, could you bring along your own S hook? Make
one end big enough to handle your tire and rim, and hang the other end
from the train's hook?

That may not be possible, because train hooks position is a compromise
between not being too hard to reach and yet having the entire bicycle
off the car floor. If you add your own hook to that, your bike will be
about 10 cm down, and the rear wheel may touch the floor, resulting in a
very less stable position.

I think it was in Estonia that we hung our folding Bikes Friday from train hooks
and had them dangling and swinging. Other bikes would have had their rear
wheels stabilized by a sort of attachment on the floor of the train car.

The best they can do is design for what's common. Those of us with uncommon
bikes have to adapt.

- Frank Krygowski