Old July 31st 06, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

Default Cambridge

"rowman" wrote in message

I though that the lack of maintenance was maybe down to a high crime rate.
i.e. don't bother if its going to get stolen/damaged. Another clue was the
almost total absence of quick release leavers?

Nah, it'll be because the riding there isn't actually that strenuous, so you
can get away without bothering with maintenance. Cheap bikes tend not to
have QRs, and they're what get ridden a lot of the time.

FWIW I'm also perpetually disppointed at the standard of bikes in
Cambridge - but I do appreciate that it's not actually a real problem.

BTW are you new round here?

I am a newish poster, returning to cycling after 20 years of rowing.

1) Post replies in the body of your message, like wot I've done, not at the
top like you did.
2) Find out a little more about the effigacy of helmets before stating that
you're shocked that people don't wear bike helmets. www.cyclehelmets.org may
help you here.

cheers,
clive