Old January 9th 09, 07:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Bondo

Default Does MUni impact the trail more than MTB?

I've seen some photos here of people doing the MUni on very-muddy
trails.
Around here that is a big no-no.

Please consider your impact on the trail.

Does a Municycle have more or less impact on the trail than regular
Mountain Bikes?

For downhill I would think MUni does not skid as much so we are better
for the trail in that regards.

In tight turns/switchbacks though, the single point interface with the
trail may mean you grind up a bit more dirt in tight jerky turns. The
MTBers might flow through tight turns a little easier.

I'm sure some areas of the country may not consider their impact on the
trail as much. (Widening trails, double-tracking, shortcuts, deepening
trails, erosion etc)

In higher alpine environments it takes years, if-ever, for a trail to
be grown over and repaired. Much of the damage caused by MTBs, Hikers
and horses tend to be almost permanent. Horses IMO seem to be the
worse.

I do admit I have never gone and volunteered for a trail maintenance
day. I may change that this next summer for trails I use a lot. It's
only right.

Your thoughts?

--
Bondo