Old March 13th 19, 04:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default The death of rim brakes?

Frank Krygowski wrote:
:On 3/12/2019 9:01 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
: On 3/12/2019 7:23 PM, Mark J. wrote:
: On 3/12/2019 11:57 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
: On 3/12/2019 11:07 AM, Joerg wrote:
: On 2019-03-10 06:34, wrote:
: I keep reading see all the bikes coming out and basically all disc
: brakes. I cannot believe rim brakes are going to be gone but maybe I
: am just kidding myself. I frankly hate the disc brake look and
: certainly for a long time parts will be around but are these rim
: brakes a dead deal.
:
:
: Disc brakes are simply better. Take a look around around automotive
: and motorcycles. How many new cars and motorcycles are there that
: still have drum brakes in front?
:
: On Sunday I experienced the umpteenth reminder why rim brakes are
: inferior. We had to cross some unpaved area on the road bikes and it
: had rained. Muddy. Afterwards a descent on pavement, I reached in
: and after the usual and expected one-second of zero brake action the
: rim brakes came on. There was an awful grinding noise, you could
: literally hear aluminum being eaten.
:
: And yet, you survived. So did your rims.
:
: I've heard that sound thousands of times. I've never had a crash or
: rim failure as a result.
:
: Failure in one day, no, I haven't heard that either.Â* Failure over a
: shorter-than-you'd expect span of months, I've experienced that
: personally as have others on this NG.
:
: I've never had a rim fail by that mechanism at all. I'm not aware of any
: of my riding friends suffering that failure.
:
: Many, many years ago I was on a mountain bike ride where such a failure
: happened to an out-of-town guy I didn't know; so I understand it's
: possible. But I don't think it's at all common, at least around here.
: And especially for road bikes.
:
: Someone recently proposed that local soil content can make a difference.
: I'm open to that possibility. In our area, soils typically have high
: clay content, and I suppose that's not very abrasive stuff.

:I guess we could do a poll. How many here have had a road bike rim fail
:by having the brakes eat through it?

Me. Used bike, no idea on mileage. not many by me. ridden enough
that it had (by a prveious owner) a free wheel replaced.

--
sig 119