Old March 19th 19, 11:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default The death of rim brakes?

On Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at 3:46:35 AM UTC-4, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 18 Mar 2019 13:57:02 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Monday, March 18, 2019 at 3:32:49 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped

I was sold on disc brakes after about five seconds of use. When I almost
flew over the handlebar of my new MTB during a test ride in the LBS
parking lot, despite having pulled the handle with just two fingers. The
rear of the MTB actually bucked upwards. It felt like having
power-assist brakes. Woohoo!

Snipped

I do. Should I ever need a new road bike it will have discs or I won't buy.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Back around 1982 I bought a Velo Sport Columbus SL Dura Ace AX equipped bicycle and on the ride home was getting squeezed into parked cars by a streetcar because the road was narrowing quite a bit. I hit the brakes and the rear wheel lifted quite a bit before I released the front brake lever and hit the brakes again. That was with the AX caliper brake. I've always loved the braking of those brakes.

Cheers

Not to disparage Dura Ace equipment but I have one bike with a set of
Tektro brakes and on another a set of Shimano Sora (low end) brakes
and both stop "Rit Now". It is quite noticeable that the brake arms
that mount the pad are very short in comparison to other models. In
fact on one bike I had to mount the rear brake on the front side of
the brake bridge in order for the pads to reach the rims.

I've come to believe that the important factor in brakes is the
mechanical advantage of the cable arms to the pad arms.

--
Cheers,
John B.

The Dura Ace AX brake calipers are an interesting design.

Here's an image, fund online, of them.

https://www.seabasscycles.co.uk/shimano-brake-calipers

Cheers