Old December 9th 10, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barry[_3_]

Default Bicyclist Fatalities in AZ 2009

I have some questions for Frank.

As I understand, in a 10-foot wide lane (no shoulder), with an 8.5-foot wide
truck behind you, you'd ride in the middle of the lane. This would put you 5
feet from the right edge.

Where would you ride if there was no vehicle behind you?

What if instead of a big truck, it was a small car or a motorcycle behind you?

What if the lane was 14 feet wide instead of 10 feet?

In all of these cases, I think I'd ride in the same place - as far right as I
deem practicable, probably about 3 feet from the edge if there are no issues
with debris or road surface. Maybe a little closer if there's an unpaved
shoulder instead of a curb.