Old December 10th 10, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hébert

Default Bicyclist Fatalities in AZ 2009

On 12/10/2010 3:08 PM, Phil W Lee wrote:
considered Thu, 9 Dec 2010 14:41:14
-0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

On Dec 9, 3:13 pm, Phil W wrote:
Jay considered Wed, 8 Dec 2010
18:00:24 -0800 (PST) the perfect time to write:

So, putting them together,

Why put them together?

First the disclaimer that you forgot - YANAL
Second, Jay IAL.

Third:
ORS 811.130(1), 814.400. State v. Potter (2002) 57 P.3d 944,
185 Or.App. 81.

Fourth:
814.400 reads "Application of vehicle laws to bicycles. (1) Every
person riding a bicycle upon a public way is subject to the provisions
applicable to and has the same rights and duties as the driver of any
other vehicle concerning operating on highways, ..."

If that was actually intended to cover more than the usual things like
obeying stop signs and traffic signals, it would mean you also need a
driving licence to ride a bicycle on the highway.
Do you?

Neither rights nor duties to me indicate requirement for a driver's
license. Rights, to me in this context means, what I am allowed to do
and Duties, in this context means, what I am required to do.

Maybe Jay can clarify? After all, HIAL.