Old December 11th 10, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default Bicyclist Fatalities in AZ 2009

On Dec 9, 10:21 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Dec 9, 12:56 pm, Jay Beattie wrote:

On Dec 9, 8:23 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

First, I'd have thought you could talk to Mionske about this. Both of
you are in PDX, IIRC.

Why would I? I can read statutes, in fact, I've even written a few.

snip

Get with Mionske. See what he says. Seriously.

The Court of Appeals has answered the question. I don't need to talk
to Bob...

I think it would be a really good idea. If nothing else, ask him if
he controls a lane that's too narrow for safe passing. Ask him why.
You could then report back to us about what he says. It would be
interesting, don't you agree?

No. I could care less what he says, really. Why waste my time?

Is learning really considered a waste of time around here?

Frank, I value learning more than I can even say, yet you repeatedly
put me down as... let me see if I can remember all the offensive
adjectives you have for me - "incurious" comes to mind.

Frank, I *am* learning all the time and you know it. I learn new
things to consider every day, and I learn the *actual* probability of
them actually happening to *me* (not some study group of people who
are not like me and don't behave like me) when combined with the
various circumstance I am expose myself to in the real world. You and
I will *both* die with an infinity of lifetimes of learning yet to do.

Moreover, Frank, there are far more "positions" ;-) to learn than
those in your preferred books on "proper cycling", but I suppose that
sort of knowledge (and then learned skill ;-) might be of less
interest to some church-going fuddy-duddies ;-) I *could* spend my
time instead reading about proper cycling and His word, etc,, but take
my word for it - I have learned some *really* great stuff ;-) ;-) that
I'll bet you don't know, and it's relevent to my life.

I was a bright kid - A's in school, 99th percentile, bound for
academic glory - the whole nine yards. I went into adulthood with a
big know-it-all problem. Learning is awesome! I think I must have
been about thirty-something when I finally learned one of my most
important lessons - that *everybody* knows things I don't - things
that matter.

Frank, last week I was creating disk images of a REXX compiler on an
OS/2 system in my "lab". Somebody in France needed the software
urgently for a project. I used my a Windows system
to look up references for the imaging utility, a Debian Linux system
to look up screenshots of where the config files were on a Slackware
Linux system so I could start the FTP server and upload the image
files from the OS/2 box (which I built to triple boot OS/2, Linux, and
Windows and route IP across three separate layer 1 interfaces) to the
Slackware box and make them available to the guy in France to download
from my HTTP server.

Frank, I'm a certified firefighter and emergency medical responder.
They don't hand those out to people who spend all their time poring
over traffic studies - collecting the ones they like to trot out and
trying to shoot down the ones they don't. And they don't let you keep
them unless you continue learning and prove it.

Frank, II came to learn how to build, maintain, and repair bicycles.
I have learned so much - wildy beyond my expectations - and still
expect to learn more (naturally).

You may call me "innumerate", but a fire engine apparatus operator has
to be able to figure the friction loss in multiple lengths of
differing diameter fire hose and know the machine well enough maintain
the right pump pressure to keep the right flow rate to keep
firefighters alive, and this does not happen when it's convenient or
in a comfy classrom, library, church, or meeting hall.

You are on the verge of alienating just about *everybody* this time.
It is pathetic to watch you never give up trying to discredit
everything that doesn't say. "Frank is so right". Talk about
"assholeness". How pompous and presumptuous to assume what is
relevent to anyone else's life.

Think a bit next time before pouring your derision upon anything we
did.