Old December 16th 03, 11:20 PM
johnfoss

Default Tyre suddenly leaks air at valve. HELP!

Yes, tubes are cheap. If the problem is only the valve, sometimes it can
be fixed with a little spit!

For this you need a Schraeder valve tool.

Okay, let me back up. What's a Schraeder valve? That's the kind of valve
cars have. If your unicycle or bike has the same valve, with the thingie
in the middle you push down to let the air out, it's a Schraeder. These
are not the best valves for cycling, for several reasons, but they are
very common in the States.

The Schraeder valve's insides can be unscrewed. I never tried a
needlenose pliers, but that might work. Better to use a valve tool. It
fits over part of the inside of the valve, and then you can unscrew it.
As John Childs mentioned, sometimes these are built into the heads of
metal valve caps. It looks like a little piece of tube with a slot cut
in the end.

If your tire is leaking at the valve, and you've determined the problem
is in the valve and not a leak just next to it (new tube needed then),
take out the valve and spit on it. This is a common technique for
mechanics, car and bike. Get some saliva on there, on the seal, then put
the valve back in. This often fixes the problem and off you go!

If your tire continues to leak from the valve, I suppose you could try a
new valve in the same tube. Otherwise, it's time for a new tube. Tubes
are cheap, especially when you're not 5 miles from the car, on a
mountain trail!

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"My sister wanted to buy the new Eminem CD. I had to say to her, 'Like,
you can't hear it.'" — my nephew Austin Miller, whose sister Alexa is
100% deaf... But she can ride a unicycle!