Old September 30th 16, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default AG: Seasons changing?

On 9/29/2016 7:57 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 10:28:42 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/29/2016 3:41 AM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 28 Sep 2016 22:33:37 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

Love today's Yehuda Moon (yehudamoon.com): two panels: 1) "I love
bad weather gear." 2) "I love how it looks hanging in my closet."

I liked that :-) I always carry rain wear with me on any ride over a
few minutes. And hope not to have to use it :-)

Yesterday's grocery run:

The ride started with me saying "Come on, ride with me. There's only a
15% chance of rain. And the sun doesn't set for an hour."

The ride ended with both of us sprinting home through a downpour,
generator headlights supplementing the illumination of the lightning
flashes. It gets amazingly dark under a thunderhead.

Fortunately, the computer screen verified that there was only a 15%
chance the incident had actually happened. She forgave me.

Errr.... Can't you just look up when you go out doors and get an idea
of what the weather will be?

If it were that easy, we wouldn't have weather forecasters.

I once bought a pretty little book, _Instant Weather Forecasting_ by
Alan Watts. It features lots of basic explanation of weather phenomena,
followed by a couple dozen photos of different cloud types. Each photo
has an explanation of what would cause that cloud type, and what weather
could be expected. BTW, I first came across the book in the 1970s, and
figured the knowledge would be very useful on long bike tours.

In practice, when I started doing long bike tours, I found it far easier
to check the newspapers; then later, the Weather Channel; and nowadays,
my smart phone app.

Not that any of them have been perfectly accurate, of course!

--
- Frank Krygowski