Old September 30th 16, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default AG: Seasons changing?

On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 10:58:26 AM UTC-4, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Fri, 30 Sep 2016 13:48:00 +0700, John B. wrote:

(But I will admit to carrying a rain cape on my Sunday rides - usually
a couple of hours minimum.)

I wonder what became of my rain cape? I last remember seeing it
hanging in the entry hall of our previous house, sticking to the hook
because the waterproofing was rotten.

My father used to ride with a rain cape while commuting to work. I tried it and found I got just as wet under it as in the rain, but I was riding nearly half again as fast as he would.

I wore it only once, for about five seconds. I had it in my pannier,
it started to rain, I stopped and put it on, attempted to look back
before starting off, and took it off again.

My current plan for dealing with rain is "get wet".

That is almost a direct quote from a parade instruction in the Canadian army.

I'm thinking I
should inspect all my summer jerseys and retrofit them, where
necessary, with pockets that will safely hold my glasses.

I wear road jerseys, and they all have pockets suitable for glasses, but generally I put them in a glasses case in my pack. (I am far-sighted and can both drive and cycle safely without corrective lenses, but I like to wear wrap-around sports glasses to keep the wind out of my eyes so they water less.)

I should also put a spectacle-cleaning rag into a snack bag and stash
it in my emergency kit. Last time I got caught in a downpour, the one
in my back pocket got soggy. On the other hand, a plastic bag would
wear into leaks before the next emergency.

My plan for winter rain is "stay home" or if that fails, "call a taxi
before a passer-by calls an ambulance". I do have a windbreaker that
will shed rain if worn over a wool jersey.

And, groan, I'm going to start carrying it everywhere real soon.

I feel your pain, Sister. Autumn in Eastern Ontario tends to be damp and cool, degenerating to icy and cold. I will mount my dirt board and start carrying my wet weather gear at all times by the middle of October. For now, I find that the forecast radar picture I see on the weather network allow me reasonably determine whether or not I will need the gear.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO