Old April 14th 17, 10:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Art Shapiro

Default Selecting An Appropriate Bolt

On 4/14/2017 10:24 AM, wrote:

I am horrified that anyone would need a Grade 8 bolt for a stem. I would get a stem that uses
two stainless bolts to clamp to the steerer and four to clamp to the bar. I would assume that he is
discussing an MTB because I can't imagine conditions bad enough on a road to pop a grade 8 bolt under any forces there.

You assume wrong. My Habanero is most assuredly a road bike. And it's
a one-bolt quill stem; I find those cost-reduced threadless stems to be
an ugly atrocity.

I hope to keep the Habanero for a long time; almost everything on it has
been upgraded over the years to full Campy record. The Deda stem, which
I originally sent them to use when constructing the machine, continues
to be a non-Campy exception.

The unexpected failure mode, which could have been catastrophic, was the
reason I posted.

Jay, that's one hell of a hardware store! I've rarely seen that many
specialty drawers.

Art