Old March 15th 05, 12:34 AM

Dane Bramage writes:

Hey there - this is probably a bit off topic, but wanted some advice
about bikes that are built for long rides and any recommendations.
Since this group is experienced with longer rides, I figure you all
would have a good viewpoint.

I currently ride a Cannondale T2000 touring bike. I like it a lot,
but it's heavy and built to carry a load. Looking for something I
can upgrade to that's lighter and built more for speed.

Not looking for a racing bike - rather something to take out for on
day rides of 100+ miles at a quicker pace, and preferably a more
comfortable ride than I'm used to.

You bring up an interesting subject. Most road bicycles I see in
stores have features claimed to be the fastest racing equipment made,
be that light weight, materials, numbers of spokes, aerodynamic rims,
bars, seat posts, etc yet bicycle racing is at an all time low, at
least in this area where every town once had at least one criterium
and the region had many great road races.

Now you ask whether there is a good long distance bicycle. All road
racing bicycles should be good for that. What longer distance is
there than 100+ mile road races? You often hear people scoff at
nostalgia buffs, as they call them, saying the old times were better.
I can assure you that the racing bicycle I rode in races is still my
best tourer and all around mountain and trail bicycle. I don't
understand what the equipment buffs are into when they derail good
bicycles into something a writer here must avoid to get a good
reliable ride. It seems to be a world of pseudo racers with spoilers
on the back of their cars with which they transport "racing" bicycles
to a suitable location.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/

Jobst Brandt