Old July 11th 03, 07:25 PM
Mike S.

Default Disc brake rotor size

"Michael" wrote in message
om...
I just noticed that Avid's mechanical disc brakes come with 160, 185
or 203 mm rotors. It's claimed that the 185mm rotor has 15% more
"power", the 203 26% more.

Does a larger rotor really provide more stopping power? Why? I could
understand less fade due to heat, since a larger rotor would dissipate
heat better. Does that translate into more "power"?

I assume that dimension is the rotor diameter. But wouldn't a change
in rotor diameter change where the caliper gets positioned, i.e. would
require a change to the caliper mounting eyelets?

I'm spec'ing these brakes for a road bike; should I expect to need
more stopping power than a mountain bike for say long mountain
downhills?

TIA

I would think the opposite. Mtn bikes "need" large brakes in order to stop
NOW. Road bikes usually don't need the instant deceleration of a mtn bike.

Go with the smallest rotor for the road.

The mounts are adjustable in several directions, so mounting whichever
diameter you choose shouldn't be a problem.

FWIW, I run the small diameter Avid mechanical discs on my XC mtn bike and
don't have a problem stopping.

You're about to unleash a firestorm about road bikes and disc brakes. Get
ready for it.

Mike