Old February 9th 08, 08:36 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Gemma_k

Default Servicing ergopower

"DeF" ""d.farrow\"@your finger.murdoch.edu.au" wrote in message
suzyj wrote:
In addition to worn out g-springs, some of the older nine speed levers
(mine are the '98 model) had weak g-spring carriers. A post broke off
mine after a few thousand kilometres.

Luckily Branford had a replacement (and a reinforced one to boot) for
bugger-all money.

I love my old Campy levers. I've worn out a couple of sets of springs
in them (and the carrier) and after half an hours work, they're good as
new.

Yep, I like my 9-speed. Chains and sprockets last longer and I have
been hoovering up cheap 9sp cassettes so have a few spares that should
last a few years. I didn't think of the carrier - and haven't ordered
one. Hope mine is OK - I'll find out when it's all pulled apart.

DeF.

I actually took apart one (RH 10sp Chorus Carbon) has weekend, put in it new
G-Springs and main spring. Good as new. Didn't go back together exactly
like the you-tube video though, I had to use my chin and big screwdriver to
hold the central bolt down and then pre-tension the clock-spring using the
end of a sharpened spoke. All you need is allen keys, big flat screwdriver
,a hammer and a big nail (I didn't have a pin punch either :-)
Easy peasy.

Gemm