Old April 8th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

Default Trek 2100 Carbon?

On Apr 8, 4:28*pm, " wrote:
On Apr 8, 4:21*pm, N8N wrote:

On Apr 8, 2:20*pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 1:55*pm, N8N wrote:

On Apr 8, 1:52*pm, " wrote:

On Apr 8, 12:53*pm, N8N wrote:

Would this be a good bike for just general recreational road riding?
I believe it's a 1998 model supposedly in "fantastic condition."
Wasn't looking for anything like this at all but it came up for a
price well within my discretionary spending budget. *Am thinking this
bike may be more serious than I am

thanks,

Nate

From what I know about you and your uses/interests, I'd probably stay
away from carbon frames and low spoke count wheels. *I think you were
on the right track with a Surly, or maybe a JTS. *Even the cross bike
your LBS tried to sell you... something other than carbon with wheels
that have few spokes. *It's kinda like having an old lotus as a daily
driver. *Sure, they're fun, but as a regular driver? *Then again, a
lot depends on your weight and the condition of your local roads and
paths.

Heh, see my last post. *I have a serious jones for an Elite, know
where I could get one for cheap?

nate- Hide quoted text -

Do you know what size frame you want? *Here's a couple to glance at:http://tinyurl.com/5gj7a7&http://tin...qw9-Hidequoted text -

i'm thinking I need probably either a 56 or 57cm. *The Fuji I was
looking at at my LBS was a 58cm frame and it just felt too big.
Certain portions of my anatomy were quivering in fear when I tried to
put my feet flat on the ground.

nate- Hide quoted text -

OK, in that case the 2 I linked are too big. *They're still more along
the lines of what I'd be looking for if I were you.

Yeah, that was kind of what I was looking for as well, but the 2100 is
similarly priced, is why it caught my eye. I'm pretty much a sucker
for anything high performance. You should see some of the stupid
stuff I've done to my cars.

I'm trying to show restraint here, but i'm not sure how successful
I'll be

nate