Old December 6th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Trip Report - Milwaukee to St. John's Newfoundland

Ron Wallenfang wrote:
On Nov 29, 11:03 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Ron Wallenfang wrote:
Now posted with pictures at:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/4532

The flat bars are an unusual choice for a touring bicycle. No issues
with hand numbness?

Very rarely. If I had the underslung handlebars, I'd hardly ever use
them, as I'm just not comfortable bending that far over. I'm
comfortable riding rather straight up, and can do it for hours on
end. It means my arms, which are rather weak anyway, aren't
contributing much, but I'm not looking for a "racer's edge".

I ride with flat bars with no problems, but then I am a degenerate (i.e.
recumbent rider). On the MTB, I get numb hands if there are long
non-technical sections.

Thanks for the reference to Crazy Guy on a Bike as a place to post
reports with photos - another person had also suggested it. A son-in-
law got me oriented to its use this weekend, and I'm gradually
learning to use it - I hope to have my 2007 trip report posted there
soon.

The Crazy Guy on a Bike format is a lot easier to read than clicking on
a bunch of links and switching back and forth. The technologically
up-to-date can post updates to their journal with portable internet
access devices as their ride progresses.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll