Old September 11th 18, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Interesting thing about areas near roundabouts in Cambridge Ontario

On 9/10/2018 10:12 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Went for a ride the other day and passed through Cambridge Ontario on the way to another city. We went to stop at a favourite restaurant in Cambridge and discovered that this city has a weird way of doing the areas near some of the roundabouts. The weird thing is a concrete road divider that runs from roundabout to roundabout. In the case of the restaurant we wanted to go to, the distance from the road we were on to the restaurant after turning right onto the road it's on was @110 meters. They have put a roundabout in instead of the stoplights that used to be there plus they've added this concrete barrier to the road the restaurant is on. This means that instead of driving/cycling @110 meters to get to the restaurant you have to drive all the way to the next roundabout, go through that roundabout and then drive back up to the entrance to the restaurant. That is a distance of just about 1.5 KILOMETERS.

The road above the first roundabout (if you turn left instead of right) continues to another roundabout and this road to that roundabout is also divided by a concrete barrier. This again forces people to drive/cycle quite a bit further (+1 kilometer) to get to a driveway to another plaza.

So much for conserving energy or getting more people to use bicycles instead of cars.

I really do wonder what the road planners were thinking when they approved those concrete road barriers.

Cheers

It seems a simple (extant) stop sign or flashing red is not
nearly expensive enough to add in the proper gratuities.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/