Old November 17th 18, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_8_]

Default Practice what you preach?

On 16/11/2018 09:01, TMS320 wrote:
On 15/11/2018 09:52, Peter Keller wrote:
On 11/14/18 11:07 PM, True Blue wrote:

Hmmm...try this:-
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...284529 597371

Thanks. That works.
Personally when coming up behind a horse I slow down and ring the bell
well in advance, and try to give the horse a wide berth. It is safer
also for me to pass outside kicking range. And the horse has plenty of
notice that I am there because of the bell, even if the rider did not
hear it.

I am not sure what the reaction to a bell would be. Voice might be more
recognisable to the horse?

I shout "cyclist behind", to my mind the horse recognises the voice as
human where as a bell... .

Merely "cyclist behind" is meant to imply (to the rider) that I am
there but not demanding to pass (I feel a bell is a bit clamouring
Though I do use one on people on their own).

Usually the result is the rider looking behind them waving me on and a
cheery wave.
Everyone is enjoying the outdoors.