Old February 21st 04, 12:11 AM
mfgp

Default Fuel 90 Disc Vs. Jekyll 600 Disc Vs. NRS Disc

"Dave S." wrote in message
om...
Trek Fuel 90 (Disc option)
Cannondale Jekyll 600 (Disc option)
Giant NRS 2 Disc

I'm looking to upgrade to a new FS this year for XC use and want some
opinions on these models. I know to ride them and form my own opinions
on how they fit, but I'm looking for some experiences and opinions on
components.

The Jekyll is the only one with a lockout on the rear shock. Is this
something I need? I've heard that a lockout is really only needed to
help out a poor suspension design.

Also, and ideas on what I should pay for these rides new would be
appreciated.

Regards,
Dave

Rode the Trek, Giant and Cannondale last year. Bought the Cannondale in
November and have been thrilled with it ever since.

The Trek felt awkward and kind of clumsy to me. Not very agile, and slow
acceleration. Just an all-around unexciting bike to ride. The Giant felt
similar, but a little better. The Cannondale had a superior ride by far.
It absolutely eats up the trail. Can't say enough good things about the
performance of this bike. No problems so far, but the rear Fox Shock does
squeak a little. But I urge you to ride each of them yourself and make up
your own mind.

As far as the lockout goes, I've used it once going up a very long hill. If
you're going to be XC racing, it may be something you want. But if that's
your bag, you probably want to go with a lighter bike. Mine tips the scale
at 29 lbs (Jekyll 600 w/o disc, frame small). Typical XC racers are a few
lbs lighter than that.

For a killer bike to take out on the trail and ride all day, the Cannondale
Jekyll 600 is my recommendation. Paid $1249 without disc. I believe they
quoted mean $1499 with disc. Don't recall the prices of the other bikes I
test rode since that wasn't a huge issue. It's more important to get the
bike you want. But I believe the Jekyll was about the best value given the
component group.

Not sure why you want disc, but unless you're riding in wet conditions
frequently or in lots of long hills, I would save the money on the disc and
spend it upgrading to the next component level. V brakes work fine in most
conditions as long as you maintain them.

Also, as someone else said, don't count out Specialized. If I hadn't bought
the C'dale, it would have been a Specialized Enduro or even a Stumpjumper.
Problem was I couldn't find an Enduro or 04 Stumpy to test ride. Things
might have been different otherwise.

Good luck!