Old August 8th 05, 05:33 PM
Paul Cassel

Default Evaulating a bike

Art Harris wrote:
Paul Cassel wrote:

Specifically, is an older (20+) years frameset dated? Does it work less well compared to a newer bike?

There are pros and cons to using an older frame. Not knowing the
specifics of this particular frame makes commenting difficult. Can you
post a photo?

Here are some photo links:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...d/IMG_0001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...d/IMG_0002.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...d/IMG_0003.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...d/IMG_0004.jpg

I wouldn't worry too much about weight. What matters is the combined
weight of the bike and rider (and the bike is a small fraction of the
total).

I'm baffled. All the noise I hear from bike riding folks fusses about
mass. People seem to pay brutal money for a carbon waterbottle cage over
a steel one to say, what, 20 g? When I go to an LBS, they go on about
how neat their 16 lb bikes are and that I can go even lower if I choose
to. It seems to be the ruling criterion for a bike and here you run
counter and say don't worry too much about it. I can't reconcile both
views.

It's possible that this frame has a somewhat longer wheelbase and more
tire clearance than modern bikes, and those are good things. I happen
to like the looks of lugged steel frames.

Modern bikes will have more gears, and brake/shift levers that allow
precise shifts without taking a hand off the bars. An old steel bike
can be retofitted with a moden drivetrain and shifters.

Is that really worth the bother? These shifters are on the 'down' tube
(word?) and seem to work ok.

If you like the frame, if it fits you well, and if the price is right,
buying it could be a smart move.

You should probably visit a LBS and see what's available new before
making a decision.

I have visited and not gained much insight which is why I posted here.
Let me expand a bit. I'm an expert in motorcycles. Today you go to a
motorcycle store and for a reasonable price ($10k) buy a motorcycle
which would be competititive in professional road races of 10 years ago.
There has been that much progress. The motocycles of today are amazing
compared to those of a decade ago.

I'm curious to know if similar progress has been made in bicycles. Do
the bikes of today stand way above those older tech bikes or are the
changes mostly fashion?