View Single Post
Old July 23rd 18, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]
external usenet poster

Default question about climbing

On 7/22/2018 2:33 PM, wrote:
I live in the flatlands and not a great climber but pretty solid rider. I have done some climbs according to various categories that are 3 and 4 rated. I got them ok on a 34-28 but not just easy. So I see the Alpe D'Huez and the rating plus going up 8 % for over 8 miles seems a bit much for me to comprehend.

Do most mortals who do the Alpe D"Huez go up without stopping during the climb? One climb I do is overall about 6% and it goes on for 1.2 miles. The very last section gets to 9% or about maybe 1/4 mile. I tell you I can get up no problem but I just cannot see keep that up for another 7 miles. I am pretty spent the last 200 feet.

So I assume those climbing these on tours and such are pretty decent cyclist but what gearing. Would a 34-32 really make it that much easier to manage than say a 34-28 that I use now. They say sitting is the best way to climb but I guess I just do not do enough of it to really tell. I do know that when I am around more hilly terrain after a few days I get better at climbing.

Does the average cyclist planning to climb something like the Alpe D Huez factor in a break of a few minutes at some point or points. Any climbing experts in this group.

I've never done a mountain pass in Europe (well, except Connor Pass in
Ireland, which barely qualifies) but I've done some in the Rockies, with
a full camping load on the bike.

Does 34-32 make it much easier than 34-28? Yes, absolutely. The force
required is proportional to the gearing. Lower gears, lower force (and
lower speed, of course). Because of our loads, our gearing was much
lower: I think we used 28 tooth chainrings and 32 tooth rear cogs. We
just downshifted and kept spinning.

On most of the passes, we could have kept spinning all day, but we
stopped when there was shade because of blazing heat. On other climbs,
my wife stopped for a rest while my daughter and I kept pedaling. You do
what you feel like doing.

When you get to the top, nobody is going to mock you if you stopped.
These climbs are still impressive achievements, assuming you don't get
help from a motor.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Ads

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home