Old August 14th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David In NH

Default 1995 Campagnolo Mirage - will new one fit?

"bfd" wrote in message
ps.com...

bfd wrote:
David In NH wrote:
Hi All:

My 1995 Bianchi Eros just lost its rear derailleur. (It committed
suicide by
jumping into the spokes and needs to be replaced.)

The derailleur is a 1995-vintage Campy Mirage and the bike has an 8
speed
cassette. Will a modern-day (i.e., 9 or 10 speed) version of the Mirage
fit?

Also, does anyone have a suggestion as to where to obtain replacement
parts
with reasonable shipping times?

You should NOT have any problems replacing your 1995 8 speed rear der
with a new, modern one. As long as the rear der has an adjusting
barrel, it should work. In fact, several of my friends have gone the
reverse route, using older 7 and 8 speed rear der with 9 speed cassette
and have no problem.

As for where to get, check out www.qbike.com oand AE bikescom.

Further, you may also want to check with your LBS, you may be surprise
with what they have laying around.

Thanks for the information. My LBS told me that to replace the rear der
along with the cassette, center chain ring and chain would be around $335.
which seemed high.

This was especially true after they said the chain was $42 although they
recently replaced the chain with an SRAM chain for far less.

I just wanted to see what was out there. Knowing that the parts can be
available much cheaper may give me some leverage in getting them to order
them from a lower-cost place.

Thanks.