Old August 14th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David In NH

Default 1995 Campagnolo Mirage - will new one fit?

One question, how many cogs are you using, i.e., 8, 9 or 10? IF you're
planning on "upgrading" to 10 speed, then a "$42" chain may not be
unreasonable as that is the price of 10 speed chains.

However, if you're planning on sticking with 8 speed, there are 8 speed
compatible chains from SRAM and others for as little as $10.

One reason some of my friends have decided to stick with 9 speed,
instead of 10 speed, is the price of consumables. 10 speed chains are
in the $40+ range; and 10 speed cassettes are easily over $100 (unless
you go with Miche). In comparison 9 speed chains are still available
for $10 or so (KMC) and you can still get 9 speed cassette for around
$40-60 (i.e., Miche, Sram, IRD, Campy Mirage, and Shimano).

I was planning on staying with the 8-speed stuff, just fixing what was
broken rather than upgrading to 8 or 9 but I may re-visit this idea when I
get to the shop tomorrow to talk to the mechanic. His original guesstimate
was around $200 so when another guy in the shop called saying $335, I
decided to go in person before letting them order anything. The shop is
reputable and I've been buying from them for years but this discrepancy
merits an in-person clarification.

Once again, thanks.