Old November 8th 15, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Fuel: some assembly required.

While taking a recreational tour of Meijer after lunching at Panda
Express on my way home from Goodwill, I found a display of
single-serve envelopes of almond butter, bought one, and added it to
my emergency snacks. Which was rather silly, as it's useless without
bread or crackers. It was a reflex, left over from the days when I
needed sandwich components that would keep for four hours at ninety
degrees.

In those days I usually carried High Calorie Muffins, and I'll post
about that some day, but today I'll reminisce about sandwiches that
don't go icky before lunch time.

One trick was to put a slice of dried beef between two slices of bread
and carry a small whole tomato. Uncut tomatoes will keep good for
days at room temperature, and love a couple of hours at "crystals of
salt all over my face" temperature. Find a picnic table or a shady
spot, slice the tomato onto the salty beef, yum!

Most fresh vegetables keep well when uncut. I once bought some sweet
peppers at a roadside stand, to the considerable improvement of my
lunch.

Once I took a single-serve can of chicken salad to spread on my bread.
That didn't work out so well. I open such cans with a can opener when
I'm at home, so I wasn't in the habit of being very, very careful of
the sharp microtooth saw that wrench-and-flip lids leave on the can.
It was a very small cut, but bled like a stuck pig. The bleeding
stopped instantly when I pressed my thumb on the cut and held my hand
over my head, but getting a band-aid out of my emergency kit while
holding that position wasn't easy.

To carry a beverage that would spoil if allowed to get warm, freeze a
small amount in a container with a tight lid, fill the container just
before leaving.

Beverage ice cubes don't work; the good stuff freezes out of the
beverage and sticks to the ice tray.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/