Old June 20th 16, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Today's Ride

On Sun, 19 Jun 2016 16:03:12 +0700, John B.
wrote:

What is this "buffer" you frequently refer to? I understand "buffer"
but how does it relate to posts. I envision a block of memory
somewhere that has to be filled before the mail can be sent, but I
don't recall ever seeing a mail system that worked that way.

It's a writer's term. When writing a series of works, each of which
is supposed to be published on a particular day, it's a *lot* more
comfortable to work ahead than to pound something out at ten minutes
to deadline.

I didn't start posting until I had about three months of buffer --
then winter closed in, and I stopped adding new posts to the buffer,
and by spring it was gone. But I sometimes get two ideas in one ride,
and often take more than one ride a week, so up until this week the
column has continued.

I probably won't have time to write anything this week, because this
coming Saturday is the Day of Caring, when I teach embroidery to
children -- or, in some cases, mount a piece of cloth on which a baby
has scribbled with Sharpie markers under a parent's supervision. Hence
the purchase of beeswax at the farmers' market -- I suspected that my
spare piece was too big to carry in an Altoids box. I was pleased to
hear a child spontaneously say that the wax I bought was cute! (It's
shaped like a robot.)

On the same ride, I tried and failed to buy an eighth of a yard of
happyface-yellow broadcloth. All the yellows were subtle, one way or
another. So today I bleached a couple of scraps of taxicab-orange
linen, having noted that the jersey made from it got yellower with
exposure to the sun. And while typing this, awk scrickle, my packet
of floss-for-children doesn't include black. And there is no black in
the stash. I put my darkest skein of navy blue into the
embroidery-gig packet in case I can't stop at Lowery's on my way to
the dentist on Thursday.

"Embroidery floss" is like "German silver" or "shank's pony": it's a
type of loosely-spun cotton originally intended to be a cheap
substitute for silk floss. It's so poor at that that few people know
why it's called "floss", but quite good for decorating things that
don't have to stand up to wear.

On the ride before that ride, I had another awk-scrickle moment in
Walmart when I saw a display of glue sticks. There are no glue sticks
in the drawer under the sewing machine, and I suspect that I've thrown
them away.

After buying a glue stick, I read my check list!

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/