Old January 24th 19, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
GB[_5_]

Default Is black clothing compulsory?

On 24/01/2019 00:07, TMS320 wrote:
On 23/01/2019 20:25, GB wrote:

I just wondered whether it is now compulsory for cyclists to wear
black clothing? I ask because I nearly wrote a cyclist off early
yesterday morning. He was cycling slowly up a hill in the middle of
the road. Dark clothes and dark bike = all I could see was the rear
light.

Your lights would have reflected off the road surface more than the
cyclist.

I thought what I was looking at was a motorcycle 50m ahead, whereas
what I was actually seeing was a cyclist just 10m ahead.

You should stop driving until you have had your eyes and car lights
checked out.

The car lights were dipped - it's urban driving round here - and my
eyesight is not defective. The road has street lights but they are not
that great. Even under the street lights, the cyclist was effectively
invisible. Just the tail light showed up.

There is a difficulty in gauging the distance of a single tail light in
the dark. Providing additional clues, by wearing brighter clothing
definitely would help.

Sorry if people think I'm trolling. That's not my usual style. I had a
bit of a shock, and I thought I would share it with people who are,
after all, mostly cyclists on this NG.