Old February 2nd 08, 03:16 AM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
vey

Default Dangerous bike lane obstructions in Redwood City

Tom Sherman wrote:
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
Not good form to reply to my own post, but what I said might mislead
people to what I believe. I absolutely believe that cyclists should
have the same rights to the roads as cars, but I do not agree that
"bicycle lanes" are "separate and unequal", provided it's not required
that one use them. Bicycle lanes are generally, in my opinion, a good
thing, not bad, because they signal to people (both motorists and
potential cyclists) that bicycles are a part of the transportation
network. But it must be done within a framework that says bikes aren't
*required* to use certain paths & routes, it must be an option. And
hopefully, a desirable option....

What is needed is a suspension of the licenses of of the badly behaving
cagers, along with the mandatory use of a bicycle for transportation
during the license suspension period.

I have been looking into this recently. What I am finding is that people
in Florida with suspended and revoked licenses keep driving anyway.

Eventually, because they are dangerous, they kill someone and then there
is a reluctance to use the Vehicular Homicide statute against them. I'm
trying to determine why both of these things are true, but ask any cop
around here about a recent Vehicular Homicide and they start rolling
their eyes a say "They will get off" and "we haul in at least 20 people
a month (in a small town) for driving with a suspended license and then
watch them as they drive themselves home from the jail."