Old February 2nd 08, 12:49 PM posted to ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc
vey

Default Dangerous bike lane obstructions in Redwood City

Tom Sherman wrote:
Eric Vey wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
Not good form to reply to my own post, but what I said might mislead
people to what I believe. I absolutely believe that cyclists should
have the same rights to the roads as cars, but I do not agree that
"bicycle lanes" are "separate and unequal", provided it's not
required that one use them. Bicycle lanes are generally, in my
opinion, a good thing, not bad, because they signal to people (both
motorists and potential cyclists) that bicycles are a part of the
transportation network. But it must be done within a framework that
says bikes aren't *required* to use certain paths & routes, it must
be an option. And hopefully, a desirable option....

What is needed is a suspension of the licenses of of the badly
behaving cagers, along with the mandatory use of a bicycle for
transportation during the license suspension period.

I have been looking into this recently. What I am finding is that
people in Florida with suspended and revoked licenses keep driving
anyway.

Around here, many do not have licenses - generally they run from the
police, ditch the unlicensed and/or stolen car, and try to escape on
foot. They are not to blame, since they are what the system wants them
to be, a permanent underclass.

Uhmm, while we do have that going on as well, driving on a revoked or
suspended license for some people seems the be treated as an
administrative matter by the statutes and the courts. After 5
consecutive citations, in I think it is 5 years, it finally reaches the
level of a the most minor misdemeanor, but not much happens if miscreant
doesn't show up for arraignment, just more fines and fees that will go
unpaid.

While I'm sure that some people lose their license because they didn't
pay the $12.50 required every 4 years, most lose it because of points
and that usually indicates poor driving habits.

As I said, eventually they kill someone, often by driving in a reckless
manner.