Old February 10th 08, 03:18 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike, rec.bicycles.soc, rec.backcountry,ca.environment, sci.environment
pmh

Default Plastic Floating in the Pacific!

On Feb 9, 3:41 pm, Siskuwihane wrote:
On Feb 8, 11:03 pm, "V-for-Vendicar"

wrote:
"Jeff Strickland" wrote

Back then, the problem was paper bags eating up trees at an alarming rate,
so they came up with plastic bags because of ENVIRONMENTAL concerns --
paper eats trees, eating trees is bad for the environment, so let's use
plastic and save the trees. Not a bad argument as arguments go, and I
generally answered the question, "paper or plastic?" with, "plastic,
please."

Virtually all of my groceries come home in cloth (probably hemp) bags, and
have done for the last 15 years. Same bags every time.

They are great because they clasp shut and can be carried on the sholder.
They are the perfect size, capable of holding about 20 lbs each - extremely
strong, durable, washable, and usable for a variety of other purposes.
Unfortunately they have become worn and I can't find similar replacements.

A few days ago I picked up a reusable tarp like plastic bag. Inferior but
still reusable and made from 100% recycled materials.

Bag cost me a buck.

While I am no fan of Wal-Mart, reps came to my childrens school and
gave a propaganda speech and each child recieved a reusable shopping
bag that is (according to the tag) "100% recylable, is made from 85%
recyled materials, is made from approximately 4 plastic soad bottles,
can replace 50 shopping bags and can carry the same weight as2-3
plastic shopping bags". Wal-mart states they have "a goal of zero
waste by 2025 in all Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores." It's a start I
guess.

Sorry for empty post; possibly more fodder for Mikey!

But consider - "...Wal-mart states they have "a goal of zero
waste by 2025..."

Step one: create a monumental and growing problem. Yep, Wally's
plastic trash.

Step two: identify the problem as a "goal."

Step three: pat yourself on the back as you ineffectually fall short
of even remaining in sight of that goal.