Old May 24th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
leebossa

Default popeye's elbow

thanks for the grisly details....
i had an x ray yesterday and the popeye's elbow seems to be caused by a
chip...i chipped the elbow bone in my fall. eewwww....the doctor said
there's really nothing you can do unless they remove the bone chip.
It's like the bone chips baseball players get...but they seem to pitch
or hit entire seasons with bone chips floating around in there.

Mine isn't the size of a grapefruit...it's just sore when i bump it or
put it on the table or something. My main problem with riding is that
ever since that crash i've had the willies...it shook my confidence a
bit which is entirely unlike me!but your horrible story cheered me up LOL...

Hank wrote:
On May 22, 8:03 pm, leebossa wrote:
or olecranon bursitis...anyone ever have it?

it seems to have come up following an accident last month, requiring
three stitches in right elbow, infection, antibiotics- the whole shmear.

I noticed it and am going to get it checked out. Apparenlty they
sometimes have to drain it...how disabling is that? i've never had that
kind of thing done...

it's not that painful, just kind of stiff. How does it affect riding
after treatment?

share your stories!!! i'd love to know...

I had it after a crash two years ago. The elbow swelled up like a
grapefruit, and I iced it. After 4 days, I still had a squishy sac on
the end of my elbow, like you say, just like Popeye's, so I got it
checked out. They gave me Diclofenac, an NSAID (non-steroidal anti-
inflammatory drug) that unlike other NSAIDs like Aspirin, Ibuprofen,
or Naproxen, is not a blood-thinner. This allowed the bursa to drain
without it just refilling again. The doctor said if it didn't go down
in 2 weeks, that he'd drain it with a needle, but it went down after
about a week and a half on the Diclofenac.

During the whole ordeal, I never quit riding. I crashed 7 miles into
my 17-mile commute, but got back on and rode the rest of the way in.
I stayed at work the whole day (icing my elbow at my desk - it was
July 3rd and we were short-staffed, and I'm the team lead, so I
toughed it out) and rode the 17 miles home. I felt manly.