Old May 27th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

Default Help on choosing new bike

On May 26, 8:37*pm, "Pat" wrote:
It's extremely rare for this to be economically smart.

A question... do you have a stand and tools? And if so, why?

If not, your money argument makes perfect sense and I agree with it.

No, it means that you are buying retail and putting something together
retail. The factory is buying wholesale and putting together for selling
retail. From the get go, you are an economic step in the hole. It all
depends upon how much you want it "your way." *For example, I buy parts and
make my own computers from the box up. Economically sound? Nope, but I get
it done my way....

Makes no sense either. You can purchase a great computer that might be
lacking in one area--let's say you want a more powerful graphics chip,
or better all in one card reader, well, just upgrade that bit instead
of building a box from scratch.

For example. I don't like the tire and bar spec on the Surly complete
LHT. I could build my own to the same spec for $1500 or so OR I could
purchase the complete bike and swap out the parts I don't like and
spend $1100. Four hundred bucks saved, plus I don't have to lace
wheels.

There is a time and a place for totally custom--but for most of us,
it's smarter to take advantage of the bulk buying power of OEM even if
we have to swap a couple bits. What are you guys in it for, bragging
rights that you got name brand headset spacers?