Old November 23rd 05, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Patching tube with silicone

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 06:25:15 +1100, meb
wrote:

Many years ago I had success mounting tubless tires and even patching
them with rtv silicone, patching even worked better than with rubber
cement. That is a less flexible and lower pressure application than
bicycle tube. Does it work with bicycle tubes vs. the traditional
rubber cement or are there problems there.

I haven't tried it myself, but every atempt I've seen by others has
failed. Given that conventional patching methods work well, and that
the materials are readily available and inexpensive (and produce a
result that can be ridden in minutes, not hours), I have had no urge
to investigate whether it would work.

The tubeless tire patching methods I have seen recommended involved
the use of a special type of cyanoacrylate glue, not RTV.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.